SPIRITUAL SIDE OF MLADENOVAC
Despot Stefan Lazarević (1377-1427) was the son of the successor of Saint Serbian Prince Lazar Hrebeljanović and princess Milica. In the times when this noble ruler ruled, Belgrade was the centre of commerce, crafts and diplomacy and source of art and literacy but historical stage of great wars and suffering of Serbian people. Only two years after the battle near Angora in 1402, where he was in command of hard armoured wing, he was rewarded by Byzantine tzar and became despot, one of the highest Byzantine titles. Despot Stefan got Belgrade from the Austrian king to be its ruler, which he was spellbound.
Almost all sacral objects built from the end of the 14th and the beginning of the 15th centuries tell about his presence in the area of today Mladenovac municipality. He enlarged and rebuilt monastery Tresije on Kosmaj which was built at the end of the 13th and the 14th century by king Dragutin as well as monastery Pavlovac. He also protected monasteries Kasteljan and Velika Ivanča and the Kosmaj peaks under the Holly Cross. He died on Kosmaj on 19 July 1427. On the place where he died in Crkvine, his companion Đurađ Zubović put a stone obelisk which is preserved until now and it was protected in 1979 as a monument of exceptional importance for the state. The name of Despot Stefan Lazarević is the name of the local library in Mladenovac.